Marshall Wace – Data Engineer
Marshall Wace is one of the leading global Hedge Fund Managers, with over $40 billion assets under management. It enjoys a strong reputation in the industry for its success, influence and innovation, built by a small, dedicated team of people, working in a dynamic and entrepreneurial environment.
The Market Data and Analytics team is looking to add a Data Engineer to their team. The successful candidate will be working in close concert with investment teams across the firm. The role requires someone who is both analytical and technical as they will be responsible for the end-to-end search, procurement, integration and initial analysis of a steady stream of data that will inform investment decisions. We are looking for someone who is passionate about data with a genuine love for problem solving and idea creation. The role is fast moving and varied, with plenty of opportunity to constantly improve, add to and change existing processes. Candidates can expect to work with: MSSQL, Python, C#, Kafka, Pandas, Jupyter, Powershell, Openshift, ElasticSearch and more.
Skills and Responsibilities
Core responsibilities will include:
- Integrating and preparing large, varied datasets and creating generic processes for consuming, analysing and communicating the results of the data.
- Working closely with stakeholders across the firm to turn data into critical information and knowledge that can be used to make sound decisions.
- Digging into and exploring data; identifying features and issues; and communicating them to others in a clear and concise way.
- Automating and improving processes; taking responsibility for data quality, monitoring, and anomaly detection.
- Designing, building and deploying tools used across the business and owning the projects end-to-end.
The right candidate will have technical skills focusing on the following key areas.
- A solid understanding of Computer Science fundamentals; knowledge of data structures and algorithms and how they can be applied.
- Extensive experience querying, ingesting and manipulating large volumes of data using SQL.
- Strong programming skills in any major Object Oriented language (C# preferred) and any other language(s) (Python, Powershell preferred).
- A degree in Computer Science/Engineering and at least two years commercial experience.
- Knowledge and understanding of web technologies.
- Familiarity with data visualisation tools.
- Comfortable developing across multiple platforms.
- Experience with Apache Kafka or similar stream processing platforms.
- Experience working with a variety of data storage and manipulation tools such as Pandas, Jupyter, ElasticSearch & Kibana.