This role would be suited to a Business Intelligence specialist with a focus on front-end reporting and visualisation, preferably in the Microsoft toolset (notably PowerBI and preferably having worked with Power BI custom visuals), and with a strong SQL background.
Business intelligence as a discipline has evolved from the early days of big multi month data warehousing projects to a much more agile and business focused delivery, incorporating real time BI, BI embedded within applications rather than as a standalone system, and self-service BI. Marshall Wace has adopted all of these approaches for specific problems, and this role will be heavily focused on tabular models delivered directly over source system data and creating interactive data visualisations using PowerBI, building print ready reports using SSRS, and also working with Marshall Wace’s custom visualisation framework built to deliver business facing dashboards and reports that will directly drive trading decisions. A strong focus on visualisation and presentation of data is essential, as well as a strong personality to work directly with the business.
Skills and Responsibilities
- The right candidate will have honed their technical skills focusing on the following key areas:
- Working with complex data sets, preferably with prior experience in a financial setting
- Proven design, delivery and deployment experience of end to end Business Intelligence projects
- Experience in the Microsoft BI stack - SQL Server (2012-2017), Analysis Services (Including Tabular Models), PowerBI desktop and Reporting Services
- Report design and development, with a focus on user experience and style
- Exceptional SQL and data analysis skills, with the ability to transform data to feed models without an ETL layer is essential
- Experience implementing and supporting Self-service BI tools such as Tableau, QlikView or Microsoft PowerBI/Excel (PowerPivot, PowerQuery)
- Experience with alternatives (Tableau, QlikView, MicroStrategy, Cognos, Spotfire) is also a plus.
- Data modelling, along with OLAP/Cube experience (MDX/DAX), with demonstrable capabilities in this area.
- Exposure to automation tools (Control-M, Active Batch etc.) or Continuous Integration (Octopus, Chef, Puppet, etc.) would be useful but not required. Marshall Wace uses Team-City / Octopus as well as Active Batch
- Knowledge of automation scripts such as Powershell would be highly advantageous
- Good use of source control, especially Git, is required
- In addition, the successful candidate will be able to demonstrate:
- Analysis skills to extract requirements from end users rather than work from a fixed spec
- Exceptional attention to detail and an internally driven focus on correct data
- Exceptional communication skills
- The ability to work without close supervision in a fast-paced and dynamic environment
- The capacity to deal with ambiguity and change
- The ability to provide clarity and insight through data visualizations